Simple Life

Simple Life

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A MOMENT OF UNCONVENTIONAL CLARITY - WORDLESS INTERVIEW WITH GONZO


Back in early 2000 I had traveled out to Colorado to interview the Gonzo journalist one of literature’s great moralists. I was in search of a quote. A small pearl of Gonzo wisdom, that received in person, would be of priceless value to me personally. It was early winter evening and a contact informed me that he we was eating breakfast at a tavern a few miles outside Aspen. It was snowing so hard it was nearly only accessible by mule. The place resembled a barn and was lit with strings of Christmas lights. Three men sat at a table in the back. One was Hunter, one was Raoul Duke, who I’d run into once before in Los Angeles, and the other was a fat Samoan. Leaning up against the wall was a cattle prod and a nickel-plated handgun rested on the table beside what appeared to be a Bloody Mary. I took a deep breath and slowly approached the table. I didn’t know whether this would be my last few moments on earth, but I came all the way out and decided it was worth a shot.  I reached the table and the first to look up was the Samoan. He was wearing a grey suit and had a crazed sharp look in his eye, like a recently used hatchet. I barely made pleasantries before being assaulted by Duke after sticking out my hand and saying, “Hi, good to see you again Raoul.” He moved like a leopard. I remember next lying on my side on the floor and the smell of beer. It was cold and wet from the snow. As I was being dragged out of the place I noticed a few patrons sitting at the bar had turned around and were laughing. Some people clapped. Hunter never looked up from his meal.

-Greg Evans (American Writer)
https://twitter.com/gregevansauthor
http://instagram.com/gregevansauthor/
https://www.facebook.com/gregevanswriter


No comments:

Post a Comment